Sidney, Hilton, Cornel, (and David)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 26 22:10:47 PDT 2002

My mates and I supported the Panthers in my fashion. Not everyone was what we used to call a "Third World suck." There were a lot of good people in the Panthers. The pressure they were under helped to foster a looniness and a loony faction led by Cleaver that eventually split off. Cleaver certified his looniness by his subsequent antics -- joining the Moonies, designing goofy clothes. Newton corrupted himself. Bobby Seale turned out pretty well. So did Bobby Rush.

You didn't have to accept the BPP as a vanguard to have a congenial view of them. The 'White Panthers' were indeed a little strange. I met one on the way to a demo who thought they had potential to recruit from the KKK. He might have been right.

mbs

That was Horowitz's line then, which he expounded with great vigor: general and uncritical left-wing support for the Black Panther Party as some sort of revolutionary vanguard, with the white working masses to follow in their train, any day now. Strange as it is to recall now, in the bay area of the day one occasionally ran into lefties who espoused similar views. Loony, no?

And especially so by 1978.

(For several years, I lived next door to the World HQ of the White Panther Party, which, as was said at the time, specialized in organizing straight white male hippies and their old ladies. More strange fruit of a strange era...)

Jacob Conrad