Gould

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu Jun 27 08:37:57 PDT 2002

In all fairness to Gould, he died before getting a chance to revise this. I suspect Gould shared a problems with me: I have no problem producing reams of stuff - which then needs to be revised drastically in order to be shrunk. If you ever compared one of my first drafts to one a final output you will notice the end result is about one fourth the length. I seem to remember some famous writer's apology: "I am sorry that this letter is long as I had not time to make it short". In short, when criticizing Gould's style, just remember that you are looking at a first draft. Look at almost anything else by him, and I think you will have few stylistic complaints.