Underemployment

Chris Beggy news at kippona.com
Thu Jun 27 10:20:33 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> Blade Blade wrote:
>
>>Where can I find statistics for underemployment?
>
> You can't, really. How can you define it rigorously enough to put a
> number on it? Is a pianist who earns her money by driving a cab
> underemployed? Does the answer change if she's a good pianist or bad?
> If she's a jazz pianist or classical? If she lives in Boise or
> Brooklyn?

"Underemployment" is an important term to define, in an era when employers use "labor shortage" to describe employment markets when it suits them. Many IT workers, registered nurses and public school teachers leave or are kicked out to work in fields which don't require their specialized training and experience. Their underemployment gives lie to employers' claims of a labor shortage.

Chris