9th circuit and the "bucher"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 27 11:20:33 PDT 2002

At 12:21 PM 6/27/2002 -0400, doug wrote:
>Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>I think he just a skillful symbol manipulator who makes a living by
>>peddling ideologies. A few years ago The Nation exposed his third party
>>campaign as a scam to milk the system. In this case, he is merely
>>supplying what his audience wants to hear. What's scary is the people who
>>buy this crap. There is a quite of number of them in rural and suburban
>>America.
>
>Of course, he's failed badly at every presidential run. So there can't be
>that many people who love him or his politics.

But that is true of all third party candidates who generally do not score well in presidential election. However, the 449 thousand votes vis a vis Nader's 2.9 million he did get in 2000

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/frametextj.html

should be viewed in the proper context of highly organized and motivated GOP supporters and highly disillusioned Democrat supporters. Thus, much of the Nader votes were de facto protest votes against Gore, whereas most Buchanan votes were cast by his staunchest supporters who refused to go for the "compassionate conservative." I suspect the if the tables were turned around and GOP supporters felt like many liberals did after Clinton, Mr. Buchanan would probably get much more than 2.9 million votes.

Moreover, that if the war on terror does not go well and the economy does not improve any time soon, Mr. Buchanan (or his political clone) may pull a Le Pen in 2004. Remember, you heard it first here.

wojtek