Whoops!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 28 09:22:06 PDT 2002

At 12:13 PM 6/28/2002 +0400, Chris wrote:
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-340529,00.html
>Please sir, can we have the summit security papers back? Outside the press
>building at the G8 summit yesterday stood a secret service special agent, a
>Mountie, and an off-duty Canadian policeman. All looked rather sheepish

Maybe it is a whoops, may be it is not. What comes to mind is the British Intelligence operation during WWII designed to fed the Germans false documents to divert their attention from the planned invasion of Sicily, if memory serves. It worked like that: the Brits put a corpse dressed in a military uniform on a plane, placed a brief case with the false military plans next to him and arranged for what looked like a plane crash in the coastal waters of Spain. Then they vigorously demanded that the Spanish gov't immediately returns the wreck with its contents. The Spaniards complied but before they let their German friends to snoop around. The Krauts happily seized the opportunity of what looked like a major security breach on the part of the Brits only to learn later that it was them who were taken for a ride.

wojtek