Communism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Jun 28 12:05:08 PDT 2002

At 02:49 PM 06/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>This statement does not correspond with my experience or understanding
>of the world. Police, judges and jailers exist in large part to handle
>crimes of passion that have nothing to do with class conflict.

If that were the case, there would be very few of the above. You ignore the tie between "passion" and poverty. Domestic abuse rises with lost jobs, evictions, and want.

And, currently, the tie between the penal system and capitalist development is very tight: something like 70% of the current prison population is there for drug-offenses, and who is guarding them? ....largely the industrial workers whose jobs have been relocated abroad. For "war on drugs" read peace-time redployment of enforcement agencies whose cold war jobs went the way of the cold war.

Joanna