Determinism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 28 12:27:45 PDT 2002

Tahir Wood wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:44:15 -0700
> From: "R" <rhisiart at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Determinism
>
> Marx's historical determinism spoils the whole marxist thing for me;
> economics, social interaction and life isn't that simple or preordained.
> determinism is not intellectually honest, only rigorous since it's harder
> to lie to oneself than to tell the truth. unless you're ari fleischer.
>
> I wonder what would be an example from Marx of this sort of thing?

I don't think it is worthwhile replying to R -- if he can use as silly a non-marxist expression as "historical determinism," then he is beyond the reach of reasoned argument. Whatever you say he will simply and quite automatically and unconsciously translate it into his preconceived fantasy of what marxism is.

Carrol