Working Class

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jun 28 20:51:52 PDT 2002

There's a big difference between the top 1% of households and the top 5% of households.

Let me enunciate as gospel the rule-of-thumb that Bob Litan and I agreed on: that more than 3 times your current consumption level strikes you as absurd and wasteful luxury. The median family income in America today is going to be about $54,000 this year. Taking a rough guess at the progressiveness of the tax code, you would need an income of about $220,000 to get you to the point where, from the perspective of the median, you are starting to buy stupid and pointless luxuries that nobody really needs... That gets you down to 2% of families in the upper class.

Brad DeLong