Harvard-Russia Fraud Talks Break Down (Andrei Shleifer to get busted?)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 22:18:34 PDT 2002

>From: Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Harvard-Russia Fraud Talks Break Down (Andrei Shleifer to get
>busted?)
>Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:19:28 -0700
>
>Why is this not a criminal case? Brad, do you know?
>
>--

I was just reading about the law of prosecutorial discretion. Essentially a prosecutor's decision not to prosecute is unreviewable, and has been for 150 years, although the US Atty statute is framed in mandatory language (The US Atty for each district SHALL prosecute ALL crimes against the United States). What US Atty is gonna indict Harvard, really? Half of them WENT to Harvard Law, I'd guess.

jks