Fwd: FW: Email Filters - 6/02

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 29 14:12:39 PDT 2002

[sent to me rather than list]

X-From_: crdbronx at erols.com Fri Jun 28 20:37:57 2002 From: Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema <crdbronx at erols.com> To: "LBO-TALK" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com>,

"DemocraticLeft" <DemocraticLeft at yahoogroups.com> Subject: FW: Email Filters - 6/02 Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:38:03 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal Importance: Normal X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

A curious bit of experience from Diane Sollee, who is the motivating spirit behind part of the "marriage movement," a group of communitarians that I like to think of as "religious right lite."

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

-----Original Message----- From: owner-smartmarriages at lists.his.com [mailto:owner-smartmarriages at lists.his.com]On Behalf Of Smartmarriages® Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 20:25 PM To: cmfce list Subject: Email Filters - 6/02

subject: Email Filters - 6/02

from: Smart Marriages

FILTERS: I just discovered that months ago my email server had installed a porn/spam filter. They sent me a notice and I just thought, "how nice!" It turns out that many, many of your messages have not been getting through to me. And I never knew.

I was tipped off to the problem when the most recent column by Mike McManus - his Religion and Ethics column - couldn't get through to me. He wrote about the new Marriage Project study on why men don't marry - and, of course, he used the "S" word in talking about men not marrying if they can get it for free.

After I talked to my server I went to the site where the messages that are considered to be porn or spam are held in trash for a week. I had 562 messages in the trash. If you replied to the French Maid award announcement, it didn't reach me. (It talked about "s--y marriage"). Tim Gardner sent me an email about his book "Sacred S--" - it didn't get through. A presenter emailed to ask how many were registered for her workshop on "Teen S--"...it was trapped in the filter.

On Monday I'm going to see what I can do to adjust the filter.

BUT I'm writing this to alert you. You may have a filter that is screening out lots of posts from the e-newslist. I get many messages returned to me that say that the newslist was rejected for being profane. We need to figure out how to set the filters so that topics having to do with marriage can get through. Ideas?

- diane

************************** Copyright © 2001 CMFCE. All rights reserved. See below.

This is a moderated list. If you reply, your response is sent only to Diane Sollee, editor, not to the other subscribers. Please indicate if your response is NOT to be shared with the list.

This newslist shares information on marriage, divorce and educational approaches. Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by members of the Coalition.

Newsletter archive - to read ALL posts to the newsletter: http://archives.his.com/smartmarriages/index.html#start

6th annual Smart Marriages conference/Washington, DC July 9 - 16, 2002 http://www.smartmarriages.com/conferencedetails.html

List your program in the Directory of Classes at www.smartmarriages.com

Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education, LLC (CMFCE) Diane Sollee, Director 5310 Belt Rd NW, Washington, DC 20015-1961 www.smartmarriages.com 202-362-3332 cmfce at smartmarriages.com

FAIR USE NOTICE: This e-newsletter contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of marriage, family, couples, divorce, legislation, family breakdown, etc. We understand this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.