Communism

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Jun 29 20:49:39 PDT 2002

>>Jealosy and hatred are of course emotions, which cannot be dealt
>>with legally in any case.
>>

>Sure they can. You can't stop people from feeling them. But you can
>prohibit them from acting on them in a destructive way. jks

"prohibit"? Your "prohibit" is an empty word without effective deterrence (and "prohibitionism" can be defined as the propensity to pass a law against anything you don't like and give exemplary punishment to a very small percentage of those who persist in the "prohibited" behavior). But deterrence can never be effective, even in the smallest degree, except against those who attempt a rational calculation of the expected cost/benefit ratio for the "prohibited" behavior. The whole point is that *hatred* and *jealousy* are extremely powerful and extremely irrational negative emotions.

What "prohibition," pray tell, would deter an Iago from destructively acting on his hatred for Othello, or deter an Othello from destructively acting on his jealousy of Desdemona?

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)