Working Class

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 29 22:06:23 PDT 2002

At 6:39 PM -0700 6/29/02, Gar Lipow wrote:
>This is why I think the anarchist analysis of a coordinator class -
>a class that has the same relation to the means of production as the
>working class, but a different relation to work is important. It
>identifieds a segment of the population among whom you cannot win a
>majority.

The "anarchist analysis" of "a coordinator class" as you explain it (though I'm not sure if the analysis in question has ever been prevalent among anarchists), in my opinion, serves the interest of those who want to exclude as many workers as possible from union representation.

***** Final Internationally - Recognised Core Labour Standards in the United States

REPORT FOR THE WTO GENERAL COUNCIL REVIEW OF THE TRADE POLICIES OF THE UNITED STATES

(Geneva, 12 and 14 September 2001)

...National labour legislation does not cover agricultural, domestic workers and certain kinds of supervisory workers. Moreover, the concept of "employee" as used in the law does not accord protection to "independent contractors" even where they have no separate economic identity independent of a particular employer.... In the area of freedom of association, the US should ratify ILO Conventions No. 87 and No. 98 and bring its law and practice into line with their very basic provisions providing individual workers with a right to form and join a trade union and for that union to have the ability to undertake collective representation of their interests. National labour legislation needs to be extended to cover all workers in the economy including agricultural workers, domestic workers, migrant workers and supervisory workers.

<http://www.union-network.org/uniindep.nsf/53d0d8029c2826f5c125682c0048c3c1/3ba027cf9ff65b13c1256ac7004a1d60?OpenDocument> ***** -- Yoshie