Cop Watching is Illegal

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Jun 24 03:48:22 PDT 2002

Jeez, Justin. Petty theft not bailable if there's a prior? That's shocking. And "three strikes' laws? And the range of maxi-maxi conditions now routinely applied in US and state prisons that amount to torture under international law? What will it take to shock you? How do you think the US has managed to build the gulag that makes it the Number One Prison State (by percentage of population imprisoned) in the world?

john mage

I was talking to a public defender out of Oakland last weekend. He told me that local courts, prosecutors, and cops prefer probation so they can extend their control over people, leaving them on a string where they can jerk them into prison at any time without any more proof than a PO or cop's word. Nice.

Chuck Grimes