WSWS on Pearl

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 1 13:53:12 PST 2002

michael pugliese wrote:

> "CIA agent or asset, " (insert sarcasm symbol) Pearl writes
>a story with this headline, Body Count: War in Kosovo Was Cruel,
>Bitter, Savage; Genocide It Wasn't
>-- Dec. 31, 1999

This piece is well worth reading: <http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/pearl123199.htm>. "[I]ntimate acts of barbarity rather than mass murder" - a phrase that it's hard to imagine appearing in the NYT.

Pearl also did that excellent critical piece on the Grameen bank. He was the kind of reporter that makes the WSJ so damned good, really.

Doug