Getting Back to David Lynch

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 17:02:28 PST 2002

To get back specifically to Lynch, I think that a movie, like "Mulholland Drive", depicts incredibly well the tendency for dream and daydream to impose themselves on "reality", the "real" situation.

Now some might say that it is human nature to react in such a way when faced with overwhelming problems. Some might say that under capitalism people feel so powerless that they resort to such mental fabricatations as a sort of escape mechanism.

But Lynch just describes the mental life of a lot of us, maybe all of us. It doesn't matter whether he is a reaganite, a hare krsna, or card-carrying member of MarxMail, we should judge the movie on its own merits.

By the way, anybody know the politics of the director of "Memento" so we can decide if we like that movie or not ;)

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx