lbo-talk-digest V1 #5744

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Fri Mar 1 18:48:38 PST 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

> Important. Antidisclaimer. This e-mail is not and cannot, by
> its nature, be
> confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across
> the public Internet,
> easily readable by any number of system administrators along
> the way. If you
> have received this message by mistake, it would be ridiculous for me
> to tell you
> not to read it or copy to anyone else, because, let's face it, if
> it's a message
> revealing confidential information or that could embarrass me
> intensely, that's
> precisely what you'll do. Who wouldn't?
>
> Likewise, it is superfluous for me to claim copyright in the
> contents, because
> I own that anyway, even if you print out a hard copy or disseminate
> this message
> all over the known Universe. I don't know why so many
> corporate mail servers
> feel impelled to attach a disclaimer to the bottom of every
> e-mail message
> saying otherwise. If you don't know either, why not e-mail
> your corporate
> lawyers and system administrators and ask them why they
> insist on contributing
> so much to the waste of bandwidth.

Thank you Brad. SBC does this, and so does the Singapore Government. I resent the pretense of control/ownership of blips on my machine acquired by me legally and through no fault of my own. It just grates me to have the damn claim on my machine. If I could stick it up SBC's ass, I would.

I had to work with the SBC employee so all I could do was grit my teeth. For the guy from Singapore who was a member on another list I belong to, I asked him if he SERIOUSLY wanted me to contact his government that I had received email stamped with the government's seal as the claim asked me to do.

He was apparently a government employee. We never heard from him again.

I think IP lawyers don't have enough to do.

-- John K. Taber