David Lynch

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 04:21:58 PST 2002

Brecht's wierd. I think he would have been a far less interesting artist (judging by his pre-marxist works) without marxism. The need to communicate his political ideas gave his plays structure.

On the other hand when he let the politics dominate the result was awful. That Lehrstucke where they kill a guy for the good of the party (can't remember the name. Its set in China) for example. Lovely stuff.

Several artists were ruined by politics. Godard being a good example. From "My Live to Live" to those 70s experimental films he did with that commune. Frightening.