David Lynch

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Mar 2 08:06:15 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> Isn't David Lynch a cliche who does things with cliches? He did so
> well in _Eraserhead_ and _Blue Velvet_, but the rest of his works are
> tedious.

I found _MD_ anything but tedious. However, it's full of clichés, (which are given the clichéed Lynchian undershadowing of evil, naturally). Clichés can be fun. But are the Demiurge and the other that is oneself clichés in the 21st century? The absorption of one dream in another? Doesn't feel that way to me although such things have been frequent in the movies lately (_Waking_Life_, good, _Vanilla_Sky_, bad).

-- Gordon