David Lynch

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 13:25:28 PST 2002

Jim, I find "political" art ok if it is descriptive instead of propogandistic. I mean Guernica is descriptive, isn't it? Quite frankly, some of Eisenstein's stuff becomes propagandistic and, in my opinion, is horrible.

Description is open to nuances. Propaganda is usually self-righteous and "certain" of the truth. The great thing about Picasso is he, along with others, overthrew classical perspective.

Thomas

--- Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:
> I fail to understand why good art cannot have
> messages.
> After all as has already been pointed, people like
> Percy Shelley, GB Shaw, Bertolt Brecht, Pablo
> Picasso,
> Dario Fo, Segei Eisenstein all managed to produce
> art that was both political and good. I do think
> that it is probably much harder to produce good
> political art, than it is to do good "apolitical"
> art.
> But it is not just political art that is prone to
> becoming
> cliched.
>
> Jim F.
>

> On Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:07:21 +0000 "Justin Schwartz"
> <jkschw at hotmail.com>
> writes:
> > >
> > >Or, as my poetry profs like Henry Carlyle like to
> say, "If you've
> > >got a message, send it Western Union". Red
> propaganda dressed up
> > in
> > >tired cliches is not art.
> > >
> > >Miles
> > >

> > Nothing dressed up in tired cliches is (good) art,
> but that is
> > because it
> > cliched, not because it has a message. Lots of
> great art has a
> > message:
> >
> > Rise like lions after slumber
> > In unvanquishable number
> > Shake to earth the chains like dew
> > That in sleep have fall'n on you
> > Ye are many, They are few!
> >
> > --Shelly, The Masque of Anarchy
> >
> > A simple message, no slants, directly spoken, and
> as fresh today as
> > it was
> > in 1817. Western union couldn't improve it.
> >
> > jks

> > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger:
> > http://messenger.msn.com

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for
> less!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx