David Lynch

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Mar 2 14:19:26 PST 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I think, though, that as far as today's American movies are
> concerned, we are not exactly inundated by a flood of an earnest
> interest to include a _left-wing_ political message in art. Instead,
> we are being bombarded by war propaganda movies (e.g., _Behind Enemy
> Lines_, _Black Hawk Down_, _Collateral Damage_); and clever and
> technically expert films with little to say about anything (e.g.,
> _Memento_, _Being John Malkovich_).
> --
> Yoshie

Actually, I was thinking of the war prop dreck as a good example of my point. But why diss Memento? Cool stuff; maybe I'm easy, but I'd call it good art. This is why I kinda lost interest in the humanities as an undergraduate despite my "artsy" self-concept at the time: I say it's good, you say it's shite, we just have to shrug and go on, or engage in pointless quasi-theological debate.

Miles