Bill Clinton Defines Terrorism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 2 14:21:28 PST 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> Well, yes of course. FDR once told a bunch of unionists petitioning him to
> do something good, "Excellent. Yoou've persuaded me. Now get out there and
> make me do it." jks

The sit-down strikes both underline and qualify the "make me do it." Publicly FDR announced a hands-off position (I think this is where he introduced the "Plague on both their heads" remark). But at the same time he was neutral in public he was on the phone to Gov. Frank Murphy of Michigan urging him to call out the National Guard. Murphy (the kind of Democrat Nathan and Luke can only dream about) said No.

When was Murphy appointed to the Supreme Court? Was he part of the Court that okayed the internment camps for U.S. citizens of Japanese ancestry? And if so, how did he vote?

I don't think FDR ever did much for racial minorities except through the prodding of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Carrol