The point of the Humanities

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sat Mar 2 21:01:08 PST 2002

At 11:07 PM 03/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually, I was thinking of the war prop dreck as a good example
>of my point. But why diss Memento? Cool stuff; maybe I'm easy,
>but I'd call it good art. This is why I kinda lost interest in
>the humanities as an undergraduate despite my "artsy" self-concept
>at the time: I say it's good, you say it's shite, we just have to
>shrug and go on, or engage in pointless quasi-theological debate.

It's interesting you should put it that way: humanities as the cultivation of taste (assuming you have the means to gratify that taste.) No wonder it's dead.

In the sixties, when people believe that learning about history, anthropology, literature, and the arts would somehow make them better able to fight for social justice...when people believed that there was some tie between the humanities and the pursuit of justice, the humanities were more interesting.

Then came identity politics! BANG!, Deconstructionism! BANG! BANG!!, academic professionalism! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! And before you knew it, the humanities became a pointless exercise in intellectual masturbation.

I'll never forget that depressing day, in 1980 or so, when Fred Crews rounded up the grad students at U.C. Berkeley and proudly announced that our job prospects were improving because other schools had stopped viewing Berkeley grads as troublemakers.

Joanna