David Lynch

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 2 22:14:18 PST 2002

>--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
><<Among recent films, David Cronenberg's _eXistenZ_
>(1999) made a
>better use of the dream theme than _Mulholland
>Drive_.>>
>
>No, it doesn't, in my opinion. I am a big Cronenberg
>fan, but to my mind "Mulholland Drive" is a MUCH MUCH
>finer film than "existenz". I was actually fairly
>disappointed with the latter movie.
>
>Thomas

Lynch fans on LBO-talk haven't told us skeptics what makes _Mulholland Drive_ interesting to them, aesthetically or otherwise.

_eXistenZ_ is not a great film, but it's interesting to me that it came out about the same time as _The Matrix_ & _Fight Club_, which says something about the zeitgeist. All three suggest that our lives are like dreams from which we cannot or do not want to wake up and yet we also dream of having our dreams punctuated by a band of terrorists/saviours. Among them, _eXistenZ_ is the only one that turns the gun on the audience. -- Yoshie