Japanese animated feature wins Golden Bear at Berlin

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Mar 2 22:33:52 PST 2002

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> I'm not sure of Miyazaki Hayao's politics, but I do know he (like Miyazawa
> Kenji) is an environmentalist (but then there are 'deep ecologists' as far
> out as the nazis). Although often ironic and satirical in attitude, he seems
> to have an almost old-fashioned sense of warmth and humanity usually lacking
> in Lynch or Greenaway (these two make good people to compare Miyazaki to
> because all three are primarily 'painterly' artists transferring their
> visions into narrative film; yet it's arguable whether or not Lynch or
> Greenaway really have much of a narrative gift).

Them's fighting words, Charles, if not for that last clause. Miyazaki is a real filmmaker, and his gift for narrative is exactly what makes him so much better than those other pseudo-intellectual buffoons you mention. Because you like my guy M., I'll cut you some slack for mentioning his name in the same sentence as the other two.

If you guys haven't seen any of M's movies, do so. I think they're all great, even the kid-oriented ones like Kiki's Delivery Service.

Miles