The collapse of the Soviet Union

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 3 09:27:11 PST 2002

>It's not very historically materialist, but quite a few people in Russia
>subscribe to the "Yeltsin was a power-hungry dickhead who dismantled the
>USSR to get rid of Gorbachev" thesis (including Gorbachev). :)

Gorby's talk, and this thesis, is really about the timing of breakup, nit it's long term causes. It's like asking, why August 1914 ratherthan why World WarI? Or: answering the question, why the Civil War with Ft Sumter ratherthan slavery. So far as the thesis goes, it is probably right in answering the question it is addressed to. But if we ask: how did the fSU get in a situation where power hungry dickheads could do that, you need a combination of Hayek and historical materialism. Actually I think the Hayekian thesis is historically materialist" it explains why a centrally planned economy could not develop the productive forces enough to compete with capitalist market economies.

jks