David Lynch

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Sun Mar 3 15:46:57 PST 2002

David Lynch

Charles Brown wrote:

>But I want to ask , and I am not being snotty, what are the
>standards that make Pound's or Stevens' poetry good ?

Call me an aesthete and a formalist, but freshly beautiful use of language, and emotional and/or intellectual complexity. What makes so much "political" art bad is that it recycles cliches - that it's painfully earnest and straightforward. Tell the truth, but tell it slant, as Emily Dickinson said.

Doug

^^^^^^^

CB: Is there some inherent conflict between freshly beautiful use of language, and emotional and/or intellectual complexity ... and ... good political content ?