Lieberman: Action Against Iraq Might Start Secretly

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 3 18:17:24 PST 2002

Boy, it's really a shame Gore and Lieberman aren't in the White House. Things would be so much different... ;) CK

Lieberman: Action Against Iraq Might Start Secretly

March 3, 2002 1:17 pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading Democrat said on Sunday that U.S. action against Baghdad might begin without notification to Congress to allow President Bush "to employ surprise in attacking or going against the leadership of Iraq." Sen. Joseph Lieberman, a Connecticut Democrat and former vice presidential candidate, criticized the Bush administration for generally failing to consult enough with members of Congress in the ongoing war against terrorism, telling CBS's "Face the Nation" program: "The administration could at this point do a better job of involving members of Congress in some of the discussions about where the war is going."

But Lieberman made a blunt distinction with regards to Iraq and efforts to overturn President Saddam Hussein. Bush's recent declaration of Iraq, Iran and North Korea as an "axis of evil" bent on pursuing weapons of mass destruction fueled speculation the U.S. administration would act next against Saddam, whose regime survived the U.S.-led 1991 Gulf War.

Bush has warned Saddam his country will face the consequences if he does not allow U.N. weapons inspectors to return, and also has reportedly approved a covert plan to topple Saddam. Iraq denies it has any weapons of mass destruction.

"The president should consult with members of Congress as his administration it seems to me has clearly turned a corner here and made a judgement that it is critically important to American security to change the regime in Baghdad," Lieberman said.

"But I think you have also got to give the commander in chief the right to employ surprise in attacking or in going against the leadership of Iraq," the senator added. "And therefore, consultation, but it may be that we will not have an actual congressional resolution until after activities or actions have begun in Iraq."

Lieberman was one of 10 leading members of Congress who have urged Bush to make Iraq the next target in the U.S. war on terrorism, saying it had reinvigorated its weapons programs since U.N. inspectors left in December 1998.

Another senator who joined the effort, Arizona Republican John McCain, told CNN's "Late Edition" program, "Saddam presents a clear and present danger to the United States" and should be removed from power.

"The administration and others are discussing and planning whether to pursue diplomatic, economic and other means," said McCain, a former presidential rival to Bush.

"The United States I think has to examine all options. I don't think there is going to be a precipitous invasion of Iraq but I do believe that we have to explore the options necessary for a regime change," he said.

Lieberman also hailed the Middle East peace proposal recently outlined by Saudi Prince Abdullah, calling it "a significant development."

"The United States should seize this moment of opportunity, send a high-level, permanent ... representative to stay in the Middle East and use the Abdullah plan as a way to begin to create negotiations," Lieberman said.

McCain called the plan "an important framework" the United States must embrace in the face of "a terribly, terribly explosive situation."