Bill Clinton Defines Terrorism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:42:54 PST 2002

>From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>
>As has already been pointed
>out,
>one reason for Nixon's progressive moves, was the fact that back then
>there existed strong progressive social movements like the civil right
>movement, the women's movement, the student movement etc. which
>were able to keep pressure on the Nixon Administration. Nevertheless,
>the fact still remains that Nixon was a more progressive president than
>any of his successors.

Age 52, I saw the Nixon era up close and in person, and I'm amazed that this rightwing hobgoblin of my youth could be perceived these many years later as such a champion -- in a relative sense -- of enlightened thinking. How much politics and the nation as a whole have degenerated since then. After all the student arm-waving about social justice in the '60s, it's sad baby-boomers weren't even able to sustain the modest advances in social policy made by the WWII generation.

Carl