Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 09:53:16 PST 2002

Justin, maybe you know something about this, having studied under Kaufman. It's been a long time since I have read anything biographical on Nietzche but wasn't his sister the one that drew together the notes for "Will to Power" and didn't she and her proto-fascist husband have something to do with his later appropriation by the Nazis?

Thomas --- Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Justin Schwartz:
> > >
> ... An
> > > author, especially (as Andrew Kliman reminds us)
> a dead one, cannot be
> >held
> > > responsible for every vile misuse of his words.
> Please, let's talk about
> > > Nietzsche's views, but leavr the Nazis out of
> it.
> >
> >The bad readings of a writer are still part of the
> reading.
> >To exclude them is to miss something, maybe
> something very
> >important.
> >

> Sure, but we were talking about Nietzsche's views,
> and whether you could pin
> the Nazis on him. Their "readings," such as they
> were, of that odd fish are
> part of political history, not the history of
> philosophy. They pinned
> themselves onto him--in my view with less
> justification even than the way
> the Stalinists pinnedthemselves on Marx.
>
> jks
> >-- Gordon

> http://messenger.msn.com

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx