Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 11:30:52 PST 2002

Thanks Justin and Jim for answering my question.

<< As Shirer says, something in N resonated with the proto-fascists too. I don't think you can blame him for that, though.>>

No, he can't and should not be blamed for that....but it has blemished his legacy unfortunately. Well, I would say that Nietzche is an elitist of sorts, but not always in a bad sort of way. He is very life-affirming and calls on people to be passionate about what they do and do it well. Anyway, one can imagine how that can be twisted into an aryan/elitist sort of way by certain people. I wonder what the Nazis thought of his row with Wagner.

He was also an individualist and scoffed at herd mentality...he must have turned over in his grave many times when his name was invoked by the Nazis with their silly mass rituals.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx