The point of the Humanities

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Mar 4 14:17:00 PST 2002

At 08:27 PM 03/03/2002 -0500, Greg S. wrote:
>Give me an old Latin Professor that actually knew something, than the
>pratting, empty, self-agrandising, nonsense which now is in residence.
>
>Who, twenty years ago, would think that anyone could pine for the solidity
>and knowledge of old bourgeois liberals as a golden time.

Yes. Isn't it interesting that you can't deconstruct anything from before the Renaissance? This is partly because applying the "textual" metaphor is so OBVIOUSLY wrong and partly because if you specialize in any era before the Renaissance, you actually have to learn something: Latin, old english, middle english, etc. No time to wade through deconstructionst shit.

As for identity politcs politicizing the cannon! no, I think I'll give that credit to the civil rights movement. Identity politics was just the middle classs cashing in. It was poisonous, divisive stuff whose main point was to deny a common language to the working class. What more is there to say?

And deconstructionism politicizing theory!!! Give me a fucking break. MARX did that and he did it better than any francophile belle lettrist butt kisser that followed after.

OK. I'm losing it. I'll stop now.

Joanna