Henwood's 'labor market slack' vs. the Bureau of Labor Statistics

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Mon Mar 4 15:56:57 PST 2002

The set up:

Charles Jannuzi wrote:

>>So according to Henwood >>it's about economic >>analysis of the labor
market,
>>but the Bureau sounds very >>Rooseveltian here and >>doesn't say anything
about
>>'labor market slack'.

Doug Henwood replies:

>So you're willing to believe >the government's reasons >why they collect
data, but >skeptical of the data itself (or >if I want to be pretentious,
>the data themselves)?
>Doug

And the payoff punch:

No Doug. I just wanted to show, pretense or not, you didn't know what you were talking about. I believe the reasons probably go back to the Roosevelt era--apparently that is where the methodology originates. So who knows, maybe at one time, whoever wrote it was genuine. That doesn't mean sampling 60,000 households according to census data that can be up to ten years old isn't complete garbage in service of the powers that be.

Hey, why don't you credit my paypal account, good buddy?

Charles J