Superceding liberal democracy

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:32:13 PST 2002

> The anarchists on the list at
>least do offer an alternative, as does Charles, but I don't find either the
>prospect of direct democracy run by consensus or a Khrushchevite police
>state attractive, the former, though, more than the latter.
>
>^^^^^^^^^
>
>CB: Justin , I offer as an alternative a Marxist-Leninist alternative which
>constitutes a more democratic society than what you propose. You are the
>one who proposes a police state, i.e. a liberal state which has a much
>longer and worse history of being a police state than Marxist states.
>Jefferson presided over a slaveowning , land grabbing liberal police state
>that was lasted for a couple of centuries, and owned slaves.

Well, since I said liberal democracy involves universal sufftrage and extensive civil and political liberties, Jefferson's America qualifies only as a very imperfect example. And if you think that America or any more or less liberal democracy has a worse record than Stalinist Russia or the PRC, heaven help you. We are not on the same planet, and it aint me that's not on earth. _Me_, advocatea police state? I'ma kneejerk ACLUnik, You're the one whgo wants to send in the cops to shut up the speech of people whose views you consider to be racist or counterrevolutionary, and shoot professors who criticize the official Marxist line. I thought I was doing you a favor by calling you a Khushchevite, I take it back. I like Nikita betterthan that. jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx