David Lynch

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Mar 5 06:58:52 PST 2002

David Lynch From: Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> Subject: Re:

> CB: No they are not. They are horrible films. I
> don't assume any neat distinction. I just say that
> the promotion of KKKism destroys the "greatness" of
> the movie. A piece of shit wrapped in a pretty
> ribbon is not "great" at all.

Well, Charles, I certainly agree with you that when I think of these films, "horrible" is the first thing that comes to mind. However, having said that we could admit that they are (or are not) great from a technical point of view.

Take a film like "Gone with the Wind" or a poem by John Crowe Ransom. The first is an interesting, captivating film/story and Ransom wrote some very lovely poetry...but they both romanticized about the Old South. So are we just to think that they are "horrible" and not consider them in their complexity?

^^^^^^

CB: Well, Thomas, in the terms of romantics, beauty is truth and truth, beauty. That is all we know on earth , and all we need to know. And "Gone with the Wind" 's problem is that it does quite tell the whole truth, nothin' but the truth, so help me God. Same with " Birth of a Nation" . It's a big ugly lie, ( which of course is redundant in the terms of Keats' aesthetic)