Correction Re: Too Fucking Many Good Books, was Re: David Lynch

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 5 08:24:08 PST 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> I was wondering. Never read PR all the way through, know PL very well,
> thought I'd miseed something.

You ought to read it all. It's possible to put up a good argument that it's better than PL. It grows on one the same way the Cantos do, by making one line simply force you on to the next one. I have no real skill at technical stylistics, so I can't analyze this effect, but it's certainly there. Perhaps it's on the Jonsonian side of the division T.S. Eliot argued in contrasting the tentacular roots of Shakespeare's language to the hard surface of Jonson's. (Heresy: I like Jonson's _Forest_ and _Underwood_ better than Donne's Songs and Sonets.)

Carrol