Nietzsche and the Nazis (Was Re: aesthetics)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 5 09:02:43 PST 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >I don't think you have to make Nietzsche into a paid up member of the
>
> >The question then is does it make any difference to his philosophy?
>
> Sure it does. But leave the Nazis out of it.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Nazi's (and the Fascists) should be left out of nearly all discussions. Those terms (and their historical referents) seem to really encourage sloppy thinking about history both before and after their brief moment of glory in the sun.

I've often called Plato a "Proto-Fascist," but as slimy and magnificent a character as he was the anachornism merely confuses things.

(If I knew enough and had enough time and energy, I would love to write a book interpreting the _Cantos_ as a 20th century American translation of the _Republic_.

Carrol