Nietzsche

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 00:41:04 PST 2002

In message <20020304.185906.-1707243.0.farmelantj at juno.com>, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> writes

> The Frankfurters of course, almost
>to a man, were great admirers of Nietzsche, as was Lukacs.

I'm not sure that you can count Lukacs' sustained (and wonderful) diatribe against Nietzsche in Destruction of Reason as admiration. I suspect it is the original for the argument that Nietzsche is a precursor of the Nazis.

As to the Frankfurters, their embrace of Nietzsche is surely a sign of their degeneration, and retreat from Marxism

-- James Heartfield Sustaining Architecture in the Anti-Machine Age is available at GBP19.99, plus GBP5.01 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'. www.audacity.org