Roy held in contempt of court

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 6 11:19:42 PST 2002

From today's India Times

'A Thousand Pities'

SC holds Arundhati Roy guilty for contempt of court;

sentences her to symbolic imprisonment of one day and a

fine of Rs.2000, non-payment of which means simple

imprisonment for three months.

SUNDEEP DOUGAL

Writer Vikram Seth, during his short visit to Delhi for the ICCR

lit fest, had spoken with premonition on what he aptly

described as the danda or the law of the land: "It would be a

great pity if there were no balance in the use of power by either

the writers or the court ... it would be a terrible pity if we were

to feel muzzled. Activists or not, if we were to look over our

shoulder every time we wrote, it would be a thousand pities. It

would be a thousand pities if people mistrusted the courts

because it were perceived to be unjustly crushing the other

possible champions of the people."

for rest of article and related links, see:

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20020306&fname=arundhati&sid=1

Joanna