political psychoanalysis

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 12:03:24 PST 2002

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> The psychoanalytic literature on Borderline
> Personality is very interesting,
> and calls for a political interpretation, mostly
> because it captures the
> details of advanced degeneration of the bourgeois
> ego.

What do you have in mind by political interpretation? Something like Butler in _The Psychic Life of Power_, or much of Zizek's work, where Freudian/Lacanian analytics of the subject are elaborated in, or at least towards contexts of social, political, and cultural life? I'm wondering how difficult it would be, given that the theoretical bases of DSM taxonomies, such as they are and as far as I know, don't explicitly owe a lot to Freud's tradition. Is the theory behind the literature extensive and flexible enough to allow for useful political interpretations?

Alec

Alec