Indian Music

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:20:00 PST 2002

Well, if you all are going to recommend electronic stuff at least meet Joanna's request halfway. Talvin Singh's "OK" is getting there but dj Cheb i Sabbah (he's Algerian) goes a bit further. True, Cheb i Sabbah dabbles in some electronics but his album "Shri Durga" uses a whole host of classical Indian and Pakistani musicians and singers. Most of the samples are from acoustic sources as well (there is not much *generated* electronically even when *reporoduced* electronically).

I read Cheb i Sabbah's next album will not be Indian classical focused but rather Algerian rai focused.

Also, I enjoyed very much the remixes of Jolly Mukherjee and the Cinematic Madras Orchestra by more electronically based producers ("Fusebox"). That release was somewhat classical sounding but added electronics. I have never heard Jolly unprocessed but apparently he scores many Indian films.

Peace,

Jim

At 03:44 PM 3/6/02 -0500, Vikash Yadav wrote:
>Kevin is right, the techno/trance music coming "out of India" is really
>pretty cool stuff.
>
>I think you should check out Talvin Singh's "Anokah: Soundz of the Asian
>Underground" (mentioned in the review posted by Kevin) or Singh's earlier
>album "OK" if you are just getting started in this genre.
>
>--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> wrote:
> > Is there anyone on this list that is a connoisseur
> > of Indian music...or has
> > bought a good album/cd lately?

"The celebrity lifestyle is like a nut allergy. You take one peanut and suddenly your throat swells up. But until you taste that nut you don't know."

-Jarvis Crocker