Schiff proposes to lower the bar...

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 6 15:23:58 PST 2002

I don't think Sharon & Co. are blindly blocking the Saudi proposal. They know what the U.S. wants. Sharon himself made it most brutally clear recently, when he said the _first_ the Palestinians must be beaten into a bloody pulp, _then_ there'll be talk of peace. Well, at least they spare us the usual twisted rationalizations and apologetics.

But it is most important to underline that Washington fully supports Sharons' policy, without a qualm (heard any lately?). The only possible "difference" that could emerge is over how quickly the Palestinians can be "beaten". Washington wants Sharon to hurry up with the dirty job, so the way will be clear - and the Saudis onboard - the projected war of aggression against Iraq. War of aggression, that is what it is and will be. Stalin was an even beastlier tyrant than Saddam Hussein, but there was no doubt as to who the aggressor was after June 22nd, 1941.

-Brad