Schiff proposes to lower the bar...

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 6 18:00:25 PST 2002

There is always such a gap in even the most well-laid plans. Even more so with such slap-dash, conjuncture-driven plans. I wouldn't assume that the Iraq timetable is only months, it may be another year, which, like the Normandy invasion, is still a timetable.

Indications are that Sharon has the green light from Washington to wage a low to medium level war of attrition, one that flies under the political radar of the US Arab client states - as it has done so far. I mean, has the Palestine issue really heated up and destabilized these states as much as the reaction of the US itself after 9/11?

The two conjoined are certainly a complicating factor, especially as they tend to reinforce one another in what Edward Said just recently called "the Israelization of US foriegn policy". But the Palestinians undoubtedly are aware that Washington has placed upper limits on Israeli violence for the reasons you mentioned and therefore seek (correctly) to breach that limit and provoke the problem you suggest. The US, on the other hand, wouldn't mind seeing the Palestinians beaten into a bloody pulp before it gets behind the Saudi proposal.