China on Harvard

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 07:19:10 PST 2002

Beijing University's position on speaking well of Harvard:

'Some People in Beijing University Worship Harvard' ¨C Professor

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200203/07/eng20020307_91639.shtml

It is a bad practice that some people in prodigious Beijing University refer to Harvard University in talking about almost every subject, according to Prof. Ye Lang of Beijing University.

Ye, a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, China's top advisory body, said that in the opinion of these people, Harvard represents the absolute truth and constitutes the highest standard.

He said, "Harvard has its own strong points. For example, Harvard students majoring in religion have a solid foundation for languages."

"But in doing research, we must have something of our own. If that bad study practice is not halted, it will certainly do lots of harm," said ye, a man without party affiliation.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 Buffalo Activist Network http://www.buffaloactivist.net