Nietzsche and the Nazis

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Mar 7 09:24:40 PST 2002

> > Most obviously, yes, but universal salvation and eternal bliss raises
> > its own question about divine 'goodness': If everyone is going to end up
> > in paradise, what in the hell [sic] was the purpose of tortureing
> > billions of people for millions of years,

Luke Weiger:
> Ah, yes, the problem of evil. Theists are left without a rejoinder.

Are you kidding? They have all too many rejoinders.

> > it IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT HAPPENS on earth.

> The answer to the question of whether or not anything that transpires on
> Earth matters is independent of eternal bliss. I can't justify inflicting
> suffering on others _now_ by appealing to their future salvation, unless
> that suffering is an essential means to that end. In this way, the
> Christian doctrine mirrors visions of communism that require the strife of
> violent revolution.

I can't think of anything in the Gospels, in fact, anywhere in the New Testament, which requires or even suggests that believers should inflict suffering, other than talking nasty, to others. When it comes to plague, famine, war, throwing the accursed in the Lake of Fire, and so on, it's up to God to do the heavy lifting, although I guess the saved are allowed to enjoy the show.

-- Gordon