Borderline Personality

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Mar 7 10:28:48 PST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Kelley wrote:

> in the same way that _everyone_ is an addict to AA "recruiters" (see,
> _Becoming An Alcoholic, Rudy) or _everyone_ is a co-dependent or enabler
> in Al-anon (see feminist critiques of those progs).

This is a libel on AA, although I'm sure an inadvertant one. AA people don't recruit and never will. The whole point of the name is that many of them don't even tell their friends they belong, never mind strangers. Their attitude is that if people want them, they'll find them; they're in the yellow pages.

My impression is that all that awful intervention stuff comes from AA's bastard child Al-Anon and its spin-offs. Real drunks don't believe in intervention. They think even if someone wants to stop, she has at best a 50-50 chance. So there's no point in investing time in people who don't. And nobody is more suspicious of a drunk's good intentions than another drunk.

Michael