Schiff proposes to lower the bar...

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Mar 7 11:07:32 PST 2002

Our opponents are in a funk.

There is a front-page article in todays' WSJ, from a generic right-wing perspective (for ex: '...the right to return to land they claim was taken away when Israel was founded 53 years ago') titled "At a Crossroads: Palestinian violence has forced US, Israel to face tough choice". Unfortunately, the WSJ won't let you read it for free online (surprise!), but its perspective on the immediate situation mirrors my own.

There is also the latest from Powell:

"If you declare war against the Palestinians thinking that you can solve the problem by seeing how many Palestinians can be killed, I don't know that that leads usanywhere." -COLIN L. POWELL, secretary of state. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/07/international/middleeast/07MIDE.html?todaysheadlines

But the quote I like is: that of Mr. Peres: "Mr. Peres declared, "Had I known that the government would find itself in this current reality in the confrontation with the Palestinians, I would not have joined Sharon's unity government."

Translation: "I joined Sharons; govt in an effort to make the Palestinians fold, but they fought back too effectively" Lesson: it pays to resist Empire, resistance is the only thing it understands.

So we may be reaching a turning point - a crisis.

-Brad