Alan Clarke

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 11:09:07 PST 2002

Dozens. He mostly made films for television, but he made a couple for the cinema. Responsible for launching the careers of many British actors (most of whom have gone on to embarass themselves). His films are very literal, so hard to describe without making them sound boring. However, three that I particularly like:

Scum - details conditions among inmates in a British Borstal (prison for kids). The best film I can think of about prison. Deconstructs the institutionalised violence of prison. Original version was banned by the BBC, so it was remade by ITV (commercial channel). The remake led to borstals being closed.

Made in Britain - About a racist skinhead (Tim Roth in what is still his best role). Alienated (very intelligent, working class) product of Thatcher years. Even though you loathe the protagonist, its impossible not to identify with him. Which is of course the point of the film.

Christine - Day in the (fairly boring) life of a couple of heroin addicts in an estate.

Liberals really hate him...