Indian Music

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Mar 7 18:41:26 PST 2002

joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> wrote:
> > I'm only interested in acoustic instruments
> > with/without vocals. No
> > synthesizers please. Bollywood music is ok...kind
> > of, but mostly I'm
> > thinking of classical music or the kind of fairly
> > traditional stuff that
> > gets played in Satyajit Ray's movies.

I like all of these. I've got some vinyl somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. t = casette tape, c = CD. However, Indian Classical Music isn't distributed the way Western Classical or pop is in the U.S.; apparently you've just got to find it. Assault Bengali restaurateurs, etc. There may be MP3s somewhere on the Net.

Note also that a _rag(a)_ is a scale and certain interpretive traditions that go with it, and that the music is largely improvised, so that no two performances are alike.

-- Gordon

Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar Raga Chadrakauns t Umbrella UMB131 (Maylasia)

Ustad Bahadur Khan Raga Nat Bilawal t BMG ZSAV1041 (UK)

Raga Rageshree

? Rag Patdip t (copied from other's CD)

Ustad Nazimuddin Khan (tabla) t (ditto)

? Rag Miya Ki Todi t (ditto)

Bilaskhani Todi

? Rag Lalit; Rag Bhairvi t (ditto)

Ram Narayari (sarangi) Rag Bhupal Tori t (ditto) Suresh Talwalkar (tabla)

Imrat Khan (sitar) Rag Pilu t (ditto) Vajahat Khan (sarod) Rag Jhin~oti Shafaatullah Khan (tabla)

Shujaat Khan (sitar) Rag Pilu t (ditto) Shyam Kane (tabla) Rag Bhairavi

Rag Charukeshi

--------------

Raga Shahana Kanada c India Archive Music 1009

Raga Pahari

Ragas Charukeshi, c India Archive Music 1029

Kamod, Jhinjhoti,

Manj Khamaj, Pilu,

Bhairavi

Ustad Sultan Khan (sarangi) Raga Kaushi Kannada c Navras Records NRCD 0009 Ustad Zakir Hussain (tabla) Raga Bhairvi

Ustad Ali Akbar Khan (sarod) Ragas Medhavi, c AMMP CD9002 Pandit Mahapurush Misra (tabla) Khammaj

I also have some tapes from the North American Carnatic Music Association ( http://www.cmana.org/ ).