borderline personality

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Fri Mar 8 07:57:44 PST 2002

But like a lot of AA members, however shallow the insight AA gives them, the real feeling of clarity and control they get is enough. Staying tied to AA is attractive because they fear getting deep into their problems as they might with a more sophisticated approach. This is how one therapist I know puts it.

Mike Ferro Oakland

Unlike a lot of folks I know I don't hang out with scads of AA people, but the ones I do know well are almost all in therapy or have been for large blocks of time over the years. You really can't generalize since a meeting in a certain part of town will have a totally different tone from a meeting somewhere else. You can go deeply into your problems for years, you can gain insight, but if you use(a lot of heroin and cocaine addicts go to the meetings I've attended), you're still probably gonna die or end up in jail.

On the other hand I've known a few long-time AA members who I do not believe have ever had a real drinking problem, but find social contact and a captive audience in AA.

What really annoys me is the growing number of pot "addicts" trying to kick the habit. Gotta be the stupidest outcome of the War on Drugs.