BPD

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Fri Mar 8 10:30:31 PST 2002

If_ all (or most) AA groups can or do _require_ that members speak, then that is a radical difference between 12-step groups and support groups (or most support groups). For our DMDSG meetings we have two primary rules: 1. Anyone may speak who wants to. 2. No one need speak who does not want to -- and no pressure can be brought on anyone to speak. We have had members who attended for years and never spoke more than once or twice.

Carrol

AA "members" aren't made to speak. I've been in some small meetings (usually 10pm0 where the night's leader will jokingly say, "I will call on people". Because there aren't many there. But all you'd have to say is, I really don't have anything to say, and that would be it. In the bigger meetings, you could sit silent for years and it wouldn't cause comment.